Radiation oncology program in Wichita
Wesley Healthcare’s radiation oncologists use the most advanced forms of radiation therapy for cancer care. If your Wesley oncologist recommends radiation oncology as a cancer treatment, rest assured you will receive state-of-the-art care in Wichita, Kansas.
For more information about our radiation therapy services, please call (316) 962-3627.
What is radiation therapy?
Radiation therapy, also called radiation oncology, uses beams of energy to kill or slow the growth of cancer cells. Our radiation therapists use protective measures to shield healthy tissues from radiation exposure.
Radiation therapy may be used alone or in combination with other treatments in cancer care, such as surgery or chemotherapy.
Types of radiation therapy
Wesley’s radiation oncologists use the most advanced radiological technology to diagnose and treat cancer. With advanced imaging tools, our specialists pinpoint the exact location requiring radiation therapy, which ensures an accurate, healthy treatment.
With two linear accelerators, we enable precision therapy with recording and verification of treatment sessions.
We offer a variety of state-of-the-art radiation techniques, including:
- Trilogy® System: The Trilogy® uses advanced imaging technology, along with advanced linear accelerator, to deliver highly specific radiation therapy with few side effects.
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT): This system uses CT, MRI and PET imaging with computer-aided treatment planning.
- 3D conformal radiation therapy: This 3D therapy reduces the risk of radiating healthy tissue.
- Brachytherapy: We offer both low-dose and high-dose rate modalities for brachytherapy.
- Xoft® intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT): This form of brachytherapy is for early breast cancer treatment and delivers radiation therapy within the surgical cavity, providing a complete dose of radiation in one treatment during a breast lumpectomy. This cancer treatment eliminates the need for weeks of travel, disruption and anxiety and is offered exclusively at Wesley.
- Varian Edge™ Radiosurgery System: This non-invasive beam ablates tumors, including deep-seated spine and brain tumors, with sub-millimeter, end-to-end surgical precision.
The Varian Edge® Radiosurgery System offers patients a fast, effective surgical option for treating tumors without incisions or the need for overnight hospital stays. Wesley is the first and only hospital in southeast Kansas to offer the Edge® system for cancer treatment.
Treatments are done on an outpatient basis and are typically completed within the same week, usually taking one to five sessions. Each session usually lasts less than an hour.
With the Edge®, a wide range of tumors that are typically difficult to reach with traditional surgery can be targeted and treated with power and precision. The technology may be used to treat tumors found in the lung, brain, spine and other areas throughout the body.
The system works by delivering large, targeted doses of radiation to obliterate cancer cells. To accurately deliver the recommended amount of radiation, the beam treats each part of the tumor from many different angles. Using precise beam sculpting and a real-time tracking system, clinicians are able to deliver high radiation doses to destroy the tumor while minimizing exposure to surrounding healthy tissue.
To learn more about radiosurgery, please talk to your doctor or call a Wesley oncology nurse navigator at (316) 962-7087.