Occupational therapy program in Wichita
Wesley Healthcare's occupational medicine program offers a wide range of services in an inpatient setting. Our goal is to help each patient in Wichita reach his or her maximum level of function with whatever limitations are present.
For more information, or to make an appointment for outpatient occupational therapy services, please call (316) 962-8025.
As part of our rehabilitation program, we provide occupational therapy services for patients of all ages, ranging from newborns to older adults. Our inpatient program often treats patients in our acute care, trauma, orthopedic, neurological or pediatric units. Our outpatient program assists children who have neurological or orthopedic concerns.
Wesley's occupational therapy plans are designed to meet the individual needs of each patient. An evaluation is completed on the first visit, and treatment follows only after the therapist, patient and physician develop a unique treatment plan with the best chance at the desired patient outcome.
Our occupational therapy program in Wichita focuses on:
- Upper extremity function: Range of motion, strengthening, coordination and splinting
- Activities of daily living: Eating, dressing, hygiene, homemaking, life skills, adaptive equipment and work skills
- Cognitive-perceptual tasks: Problem-solving, writing, judgment, visual-perception and memory
- Psychosocial: Personal relationships, leisure activities, coping skills, stress management, group interaction and the aging process
Pediatric occupational therapy
The pediatric occupational therapists at Wesley Children’s Hospital have extensive experience caring for children and treating pediatric conditions. Our pediatric therapists help your child feel comfortable in the therapy setting and include you throughout their care.
Occupational hand therapy
Many people who experience an injury or disease that affects the hand, wrist, arm, elbow or shoulder experience pain that affects their quality of life. Our certified hand therapist (CHT) provides treatments for a variety of upper extremity problems, such as arthritis, carpal tunnel and dislocations, among others.
Hand therapy treatments may include:
- Range of motion and strengthening exercises
- Activities of daily living
- Coordination and fine motor coordination exercises
- Management of swelling
- Moist heat and cold therapy
- Neuromuscular re-education
- Ultrasound, iontophoresis, electrical stimulation and/or infrared therapies
- Management of scar tissue
- Desensitization and sensory re-education
- Customized splint fabrication
- Joint protection principles
Wesley’s occupational medicine program also offers employee health programs. Our occupational therapists specialize in functional capacity evaluation, work hardening programs, pre-employment screenings and work-site analysis.