Neuro-rehabilitation program in Wichita
Wesley Healthcare offers a state-of-the-art neurological rehabilitation program in Wichita, Kansas. Our neuro-rehab program helps improve a patient’s cognitive, physical and communicative abilities after a neurological emergency, surgery or diagnosis.
For more information about our neurological rehabilitation program, please call (316) 962-3627.
After neurosurgery or being treated for a neurological medical emergency, we care for patients in our neurosciences critical care unit. Rehabilitation begins as soon as possible to help maximize function and independence.
Neurological rehabilitation may benefit patients with a variety of neurological conditions and disorders, including:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Neurological infections, such as meningitis
- Neuromuscular disorders, such as muscular dystrophy (MD) or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Spine and/or brain tumor
- Movement disorders, such as Parkinson's disease or essential tremor
- Neurological surgery
Neurological rehab treatments and services
Our certified therapists work with the patient's neurologist to personalize a therapy regimen for each patient's needs, abilities and condition. Neurological rehabilitation may include:
- Occupational therapy: Occupational therapists help patients relearn skills for activities of daily living, such as dressing, bathing and maintaining personal hygiene. Exercise programs are developed to improve strength, endurance and muscle coordination, and we also provide a certified hand therapist. Occupational therapists collaborate with the patient and family to determine whether modifications may be helpful and what medical equipment may be needed upon the return home.
- Physical therapy: Physical therapists focus on restoring physical abilities, maintaining range of motion and strength, teaching appropriate positioning and monitoring patients to prevent bedsores. Physical therapy may also include vestibular and balance training.
- Speech therapy: Our speech-language pathologists help with cognition, speech and swallowing capabilities. We use a variety of exercises and other techniques to help patients use their voice and better understand or produce language.
- Patient and family education and counseling: We support the patient and family and provide guidance to help with decisions and challenges.
Neurological rehabilitation team
Along with certified physical, occupational, speech and hand therapists, Wesley’s neuro-rehabilitation team includes:
- Case managers
- Specialized physicians
- Patient and family counselors
- Respiratory therapists
- Rehabilitation facility liaisons
Our case managers assist patients and their families with psychological and social needs. They also help coordinate services and discharge planning. Our team will assist the patient and family with the transition from the hospital to home, or to a rehabilitation or long-term care facility, and help arrange for outpatient therapy if needed.