Cardiac rehabilitation program in Wichita
Wesley Healthcare's outpatient cardiac rehab program has been certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) since 2007.
For more information about Wesley Healthcare's outpatient cardiac rehabilitation, please call (316) 962-2000.
This certification is the only peer-reviewed accreditation process designed to review programs based on their alignment with the latest evidence-based medicine, expert opinion, current regulations and measurement of individualized patient outcomes.
As an important element of our comprehensive cardiology program, cardiac rehabilitation helps people who have had a cardiac diagnosis or event continue their recovery by restoring the heart to its highest possible level of functioning.
Having heart surgery, experiencing a heart attack or developing heart disease can be frightening, and these events require significant lifestyle changes. The good news is that many heart conditions can be treated and further problems can often be prevented.
Cardiac rehab services
As part of our physical therapy and rehabilitation services, our outpatient cardiac rehab program:
- Begins seven to 10 days after you leave the hospital
- Includes three, one-hour visits to cardiac rehab each week
- Incorporates a variety of exercises using stationary bicycles, treadmills, weights and specialized devices for upper-body conditioning
- Monitors your heart rate, heart rhythm and blood pressure at the beginning, middle and end of each exercise session
At the end of the program, patients may continue exercising with supervision from a cardiac rehabilitation therapist or on their own. The most important thing is to make appropriate exercise a lifelong habit for optimal heart care.
Cardiac rehab benefits
Wesley Healthcare's cardiac rehab program in Wichita combines education with medically supervised exercise. Education about risk factors and lifestyle changes is provided throughout the program, either one-on-one with the staff or in a presentation during an exercise session.
Program benefits include:
- Manage your heart health
- Gain strength and stamina
- Perform daily activities with less effort
- Return to work faster
- Lower blood pressure
- Control stress
- Improve self-confidence and emotional health
- Exercise in a safe, medically supervised gym
- Learn the causes of heart disease and how to prevent it
- Learn how to establish an effective exercise regimen
- Learn how treatments affect the body
- Learn dietary tips for a heart-healthy lifestyle
Cardiac rehab candidates
People with acute or chronic cardiovascular diseases or conditions are the best candidates for our outpatient cardiac rehabilitation program. These conditions can include:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart attack
- Congestive heart failure
- Heart valve surgery
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Other cardiovascular risk factors