Skin Cleansing Prior to Your Surgery
We are honored that you have chosen Wesley Medical Center for your surgery. Our goal is to partner with you to achieve a great outcome from your surgery.
General skin cleansing prior to your surgery is an important step in preventing postoperative infections. We are asking that you take a shower the evening before your surgery (or the morning of, if you prefer) with an antiseptic, antimicrobial skin cleanser (Hibiclens®). Hibiclens® can be purchased at any pharmacy and does not require a prescription.
Note: If your surgeon has recommended a Hibiclens® shower both the night before and the morning of your surgery please follow his/her instruction.
- Hibiclens® is NOT to be used on the head or face; it is important to keep it out of your eyes, ears, and mouth
- Hibiclens® is also NOT to be used in the genital (“privates”) area
- Hibiclens® should NOT be used if you are allergic to chlorhexidine gluconate
- See Hibiclens® label for full product information and precautions
When you shower:
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo. Then rinse your hair and body thoroughly.
- Use regular soap on your face and genitals (“privates”) NOT Hibiclens®
- Use Hibiclens® as you would any liquid soap; a small amount is all that is needed (whatever it takes to cover your skin). Apply gently and rinse thoroughly.
- Do NOT use regular soap after using the Hibiclens®.
- Do NOT apply lotions, deodorants, powders, or perfumes after your Hibiclens® shower.
- After your shower, put on clean clothing
- Sleep in a bed with clean sheets and bedding, if possible.
- Do NOT sleep with pets after your Hibiclens® shower
Note: If you are having total hip or knee surgery, please bring a loose fitting pair of sweats or shorts to the hospital to be worn for participation in physical therapy. The sweats or shorts need to be a size or two larger than your normal size to fit easily over the bulky dressing that will be in place on your knee or hip