Because Wesley Medical Center believes that formal education has a positive impact on an employee’s contribution to the medical center, the medical center supports self-development and educational efforts by providing reimbursements for many of the expenses associated with college education courses.
Scope of Policy
All full-time employees are eligible for benefits under this policy. Employees may pursue a degree or take individual courses at approved and accredited educational institutions under this program, provided the course of study is related to the employee’s current position or a probable future assignment and the Company approves the course(s).
Covered Expenses - College
- Expenses eligible for 100 percent reimbursement include tuition, registration and required fees such as building use and lab fees. Books required to satisfactorily complete a course are reimbursed at 75 percent of their cost. The maximum allowable reimbursement per calendar year is $3,500.00 for a full-time student (minimum 12 credit hours) and $1,750.00 for a part-time student (11 credit hours or less). Eligibility is based on credit hours per semester
- Accelerated students will be required to submit a program schedule for the entire degree program
- Other miscellaneous expenses, such as parking, supplies, social dues, athletic fees, computer access charges, uniforms, shoes, medical supplies etc., are not reimbursable
PROCEDURES AND APPROVAL
- An Education Assistance Request Form with a cost estimate and an Education Agreement and Promissory Note must be completed and submitted to the employee’s supervisor for approval. (Forms may be obtained from the Human Resources Department or the wall of forms.)
- The Department Director should assess the cost, course and/or degrees, taking into account the employee’s current and future assignments and potential impact on the employee’s work responsibilities. The request requires the concurrence of the Department Head and Human Resources Department.
- Employees must have no active disciplinary actions on file to be eligible for Tuition Reimbursement. Please refer to the Disciplinary Action Policy (I-6) in the Administrative Policy Manual
- Employees are required to initiate the approval process prior to enrolling in the course(s). Promissory Note (only required to submit one time), Education Assistance Request Form, proof of enrollment and cost of courses is required for submission to Human Resources each semester before classes begin.
- Official grade record must be submitted to Human Resources within 30 days from the end of the semester or term. Reimbursement for expenses will be made provided the employee has satisfactorily completed the course with a grade (or numeric equivalent) of “B” or better or a “P” if taken Pass/Fail.
- For every $3,500.00 received, there is a one-year work obligation with Wesley. Work obligation begins after graduation.
- Failure to complete degree program or work obligation will result in tuition payback.
- There may be tax consequences to employees participating in this program, please consult your personal tax advisor for specific questions and/or concerns.