Volunteer at Wesley!
Wesley Medical Center is proud to give community members seeking volunteer opportunities the chance to play an integral role for our team. We strive to make the best experience possible for our patients and guests by providing support and non-clinical care through compassion, quality care and teamwork. Our volunteers provide thousands of hours each year to help support our hospital. While we cannot provide direct medical assistance, we do give that extra level of customer service to our patients, guests and staff every day. There are many opportunities available, ranging from working at an information desk, assisting families in the emergency department, helping escort patients and guests around the hospital and much more!
Adult Volunteer Requirements
Please carefully review the Wesley volunteer program requirements prior to applying. If you have specific questions concerning the program, you may reach us at (316) 962-2100 during regular business hours.
- The Wesley volunteer program requires an individual commitment. We do not offer group volunteer opportunities or one-time volunteer opportunities.
- The application process includes a personal interview, criminal background check, submission of personal health records and successful completion of volunteer orientation(s).
- Please note that Wesley does not accept volunteers for court mandated volunteer hours.
- Wesley has a mandatory influenza vaccination policy during flu season.
- Volunteers agree to maintain a regular schedule of at least four shifts per month.
- Volunteers agree to a minimum commitment level of 4 shifts per month and 60 total hours of volunteer services before separating from the program. This typically takes approximately six months.
We offer a variety of volunteer experiences based on our hospital needs. Our volunteers commit to a consistent and ongoing schedule.
Our volunteers serve in a variety of areas:
- Transporting patients and visitors
- Delivery of flowers/mail
- Information Desks
- Pediatric Surgery Waiting Room
- Guest Greeter
- Wesley Woodlawn Hospital & ER
- Emergency Department
- Ronald McDonald Family Room
- Surgery Waiting Room Assistant
- Chaplain Services
- No One Dies Alone Program (NODA)
- Shuttle Care-A-Van Drivers
- Pet Therapy (TDI certified)
- Children are Special Pillows
We are currently full on our cuddler program and have a waiting list.
Please note that not all opportunities are available at all times and no spot is guaranteed. We try our best to place you based on your interests and our needs.
Steps to Becoming a Wesley Volunteer
The importance of the safety and health of our patients is our top priority, so becoming a volunteer is a series of “steps.”
Step One: Apply. Please fill out the application by clicking the link below. When complete, please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
TEEN APPLICANTS - DO NOT APPLY HERE. This application is for adult volunteer applicants only.Adult Volunteer Application
Step Two: Contact volunteer services at email@example.com to schedule your personal interview. Interviews are conducted between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Step Three: Gather any of the following personal health information listed below and bring it with you to your personal interview, along with your application. If you do not have the required immunization records, your options for obtaining either the records or the immunizations will be discussed with you at the time of the interview. Please do not incur any costs associated with these requirements prior to your interview and acceptance into the program.
- Proof of two (2) MMR (Mumps, Measles, Rubella) immunizations since birth or lab work indicating immunity to MMR. Applicants born prior to 1957 may be exempt from this requirement. If you do not have access to this record, we will discuss your options at your interview.
- Tuberculosis (TB) testing and/or screening will depend on your assignment. If you have TB skin test results or blood titer results from within the past year, please bring those records with you to your interview. If you do not have current records, your options will be discussed at your interview. Volunteers with patient contact must meet a 2-step testing requirement. All volunteers will complete a TB Risk Assessment survey annually. If you have previously tested positive during TB testing, please bring the results of your most recent chest X-ray.
- Flu Shot Vaccination is required during flu season (November 1-April 1). Our volunteers are required to have the flu shot if volunteering during this time frame.
Next Steps: Based on the interview and the hospital's current volunteer needs, you may be accepted and asked to complete a background check.
An online orientation will then be sent to you via email along with a corresponding quiz and confidentiality agreement. Please read carefully, as there are many important details about our hospital and our program.
After completing the application, background screening, online orientation and providing required health information, you will be ready to start as a scheduled volunteer. Additional training will be provided by the department in which you volunteer.
Please note that Wesley does not accept volunteers for court mandated volunteer hours.
We appreciate your interest in sharing your time with our patients and staff at all of our Wesley campuses!
Our VolunTeen program is a fun and unique way for high school students to learn more about the health care environment while helping the patients, families and guests we serve. Our VolunTeen program does not shadow doctors, nurses or other professional staff.
You are considered for the VolunTeen program if you are still enrolled in high school, or have just graduated but not yet started college. Prospective applicants must be 15 years of age by June 1, 2019 and have completed their freshman year of high school by end of the 2018-2019 school year.
Energetic, friendly and committed VolunTeens play a key role in serving our patients and families! Applications for potential VolunTeens are only accepted Monday, April 1-Friday, April 5, 2019 for the summer. Please see more information here:VolunTeen Application
Contact Volunteer Services
For additional information on volunteering at Wesley, please call us at (316) 962-2100 during regular business hours. If you are interested in the VolunTeen program, please call in February for more information.