Family Life Education Classes
Having a baby is a big life step, and our healthcare professionals at Wesley are here to assist you make a smooth transition ranging in how to prepare for having a baby through how to raise a child. A full listing of courses we offer to aid in your journey can be found below.
While presenting many choices that may spark your interest, we offer a simple, recommended package of classes that we see as essentials for new parents. For $120, you will be able to attend Off to a Good Start, Childbirth Preparation, Breastfeeding, Caring for Your Baby, The Dad’s Class and Postpartum Care. Contact Ruthie Schmidt to register or if you have any questions at (316) 962-2290.
- Miraculous Multiples – Couples expecting twins or more can learn how to handle the physical discomforts and stresses of pregnancy, increased nutritional demand and parenting more than one infant. Schedule as needed.
- Off to a Good Start – Important information for prenatal health. Includes preterm labor, nutrition, exercise, changes of pregnancy and fetal development. Class must be taken before 20 weeks gestation.
- Breastfeeding – Learn the advantages of breastfeeding and how to get off to a good start.
- Car Seat Checks – Call (316) 962-2105 for dates, times and location of car seat checks.
- Caring for Your Baby – Bathing, diapering, feeding, safety, child development, health and other practical information are included.
- Childbirth Refresher – For parents who have taken childbirth preparation previously, this class reviews the basics and presents ways to prepare your children for the new arrival. This class meets as needed. Call (316) 962-2290 to schedule a class.
- CPR for Infants and Children – This class can help you prevent accidents by “child proofing” your home. CPR training for infants and children is included.
- The Dad’s Class – This class is designed for both parents. Through group discussion, both collectively and separately, the attendees will learn the qualities of a good father. They will explore ways for Dad to be a positive influence in their child’s life.
- Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC) – Topics include medical and emotional issues related to having a vaginal delivery after a cesarean birth and ways to enhance the birth experience.
- Calming Your Baby & Sleeping Through the Night – Learn ways to calm your newborn baby. Learn how to hear exactly what your baby’s cries are telling you. Learn about infants’ sleep patterns and how the whole family can get adequate sleep. Being able to identify the needs of your baby will deepen the bond with your child and ease much of the pressure and stress that is felt as new parents.
- Car Seat Safety – Most car seats are used incorrectly. Learn how to select a safe car seat and use it effectively.
- Cesarean Birth – This class helps prepare for a schedule cesarean birth and includes a tour of the hospital.
- Childbirth Preparation – Learn skills to use during labor for comfort. Information about medications, anesthesia, induction of labor and cesarean birth are included.
- Mini Childbirth Preparation – Learn skills to use during labor for comfort. Information about medications, anesthesia, induction of labor and cesarean birth are included. This is a condensed version of the Childbirth Preparation class.
- Express Childbirth – No time for anything but the BASICS of childbirth? After a short introduction to comfort techniques such as breathing, positioning, etc., the instructor will guide you through a labor simulation. There will be time for additional questions after the “labor & delivery” is completed.
- Grandparents-to-Be – Grandparents learn about current birth practices and changes in feeding and newborn care, as well as how they can be most helpful in their new role and share in the family experience.
- Postpartum Care – This class talks about after-birth care for mom, including postpartum blues and depression, childcare, what to expect after birth and brining baby home.
After the birth
- Breastfeeding and Returning to Work or School
- Babysitting for Beginners – This class helps prepare youth ages 11-15 to care for children of all ages, CPR training and lunch included.
- Big Kids and Babies – This class is for children ages 3-6. We provide activities and information to help the child feel they are an important part of this family experience. A tour of the BirthCare Center is included.
- Girl to Woman – This class is for girls ages 9-12 and their mothers. It addresses menstruation and other physical and emotional changes of puberty.
- Potty Time – Learn about toilet training, including how to recognize signs of readiness, incentive ideas and realistic expectations.
Contact us and facility tours
Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions about scheduling or other general queries regarding our parenting classes. Additionally, we offer regular tours of our Wesley BirthCare Center & Wesley Labor and Delivery Area. For both our regularly scheduled classes and tours, enroll here. If you have any difficulty registering for a class or would like to set up a tour time, contact Ruthie Schmidt at (316) 962-2290.