Center for women’s health Wichita, KS
Women's health clinic
Wesley’s Wichita-based gynecologists and obstetricians provide a full range of services for women, from routine gynecology checkups, to specialized treatment of breast cancer to many other women’s health services.
Wesley’s philosophy of women’s health care focuses on sensitivity, privacy, education and patient involvement in decision-making.
A four-story section of Wesley’s main building, the Wesley Medical Center, is the Women’s Hospital, dedicated to the care of women only. Several floors are for pregnancy and maternity care.
The fourth floor is dedicated to inpatients that require hospitalization before the birth of their infant or those who have had gynecological or breast surgery. All rooms are private and are staffed by compassionate nurses. The nursing staff on this unit have won the Quality of Life Award, given by the Wichita Medical Research and Education Foundation, for their dedication to medical care for women.
Wesley’s maternity care program is nationally distinguished by Blue Cross and Blue Shield. Wesley has been known as ‘The Baby Hospital’ since opening Wichita’s first ‘mother’s room’ in 1912. More babies are born in our birthing center than any other hospital in Kansas. Our birth centers are outfitted with the most advanced medical technology designed to support both mother and child during labor. Women choose Wesley’s birth centers to be evaluated by the most exceptional specialists in OBGYN Wichita, KS has to offer to its community. Our OBGYN team has accumulated decades of experience that stay unsurpassed in the region.
The Wesley Birth Care Suites offers, in addition to family medicine physicians, anesthesiologists and nurses, some of the top specialists in prenatal care and OBGYN in the Wichita, KS community and provides the most advanced equipment to give you and your baby the best care possible.
High-risk maternity care
The course of pregnancy is an incredible time in a mother’s life and is filled with many exciting moments. There are times, however, when pregnancy doesn’t always go as planned. Our maternal-fetal medicine specialists are experienced in managing the full range of high-risk pregnancy, from women with chronic health conditions to those facing urgent life-threatening complications.
Our providers can help with complications such as:
- Health conditions that exist before pregnancy, including high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease and autoimmune disorders
- Cervical incompetence
- Previous pregnancy complications, such as pre-term labor or preeclampsia
- Fetal-congenital anomalies or genetic disorders
- Advanced genetic testing and counseling
- Expecting multiple births
- Prenatal and diagnostic testing
- Advanced maternal age
Infants who have complications due to premature birth, infections or health challenges are admitted to Wesley’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Wesley’s Level III NICU is the largest in the region and provides board-certified neonatologists and hospitalists on campus 24/7.
Wesley’s NICU offers an incredibly dedicated, highly educated, compassionate support team that consists of a specialized neonatal nurse team, neonatal respiratory therapists, a women’s nurse navigator and a genetic counselor, providing unparalleled maternal and newborn care.
Women's nurse navigator services
Our women’s nurse navigator, Jolinda Kelley, RN, can help coordinate your care if you have complications or concerns with a women’s healthcare condition, from your first pregnancy to gynecological cancer. She is available before, during and after hospitalization. Along with your doctor, a navigator can help you deal with issues such as preterm labor and high-risk pregnancy, and Ms. Kelley can connect you with community resources that might be beneficial.
Diagnosis and treatment
Wesley’s advanced imaging and laboratory facilities provide mammograms and other tests for osteoporosis, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, cancers of the breast and reproductive organs and many other conditions women may have.
Whether the condition is a harmless lump in the breast or advanced ovarian cancer, Wesley has the technology and expertise to provide advanced cancer treatment.
Cancer treatment options include:
- Trilogy®: the world’s most advanced radiosurgery treatment for cancer
- The Varian Edge®: offers patients a fast, effective surgical option for treating tumors without incisions or the need for overnight hospital stays
- Mammosite: breast cancer radiation therapy which minimizes radiation to healthy tissue and achieves better cosmetic results
- Laparoscopic surgery: surgeons operate using scopes inserted through very small incisions, resulting in faster healing and minimal scarring
- da Vinci Robotic Surgery ® a sophisticated robotic platform expanding our surgeons’ capabilities to perform more minimally invasive surgeries for some gynecologic conditions
- Intraoperative Radiation Therapy (IORT): form of brachytherapy for early breast cancer treatment, where radiation is delivered within the surgical cavity, providing a complete dose of radiation in one treatment during a breast lumpectomy.
Wesley believes treatment plans should be designed thoughtfully. Caregivers at our women’s health clinic consider each patient’s emotional and self-image needs, desire for pain relief, and time constraints and responsibilities.