In a cardiac emergency, early recognition, quick response and expert care are vital to ensure the best outcome. Wesley Medical Center and Wesley Woodlawn Hopsital & ER offer some of the most advanced cardiac care and cardiology services available in Kansas.
Both hospitals provide a wide array of cardiology services, caring for you from initial diagnosis and treatment to rehab and recovery. Our cardiologists have years of experience diagnosing and treating various heart conditions ranging from hypertension to heart attacks. All of Wesley’s cardiac units provide constant electronic monitoring and are staffed by nurses who are specially trained in the care of cardiac patients.
Wesley’s cardiology services feature a range of specialty units, designed to provide expert care for our cardiac patients:
- The most seriously ill patients stay in the coronary care unit, which features 26 beds, state-of-the-art equipment and a high level of staffing.
- Our cardiac surgeons have nine cath labs in three surgical services locations: Wesley Medical Center, Wesley Woodlawn and Surgicare of Wichita.
- Wesley’s structural heart program includes a hybrid operating room which features the most advanced imaging devices available for minimally-invasive surgery.
- The cardiovascular interventional unit is for recovery of patients who have an angioplasty, stent or other interventional treatment in the cardiovascular lab.
- Wesley has two medical/telemetry units. While in these units, patients may begin therapy and education to prepare them for their care after discharge.
Wesley’s certified outpatient cardiac rehabilitation services help people with heart disease continue their recovery by achieving a healthy, active lifestyle and restoring the heart to its highest possible level of functioning.
Symptoms of a heart attack
Coronary symptoms may be a prelude to a heart attack. During a heart attack or possible symptoms leading to one, timing, early detection and swift action are essential. Recognizing the following symptoms and taking action is the best way to protect and save your life or someone else’s.
These symptoms may indicate a need for immediate heart care:
- Chest discomfort
- Chest pressure
- Fluttering in the chest
- Chest heaviness
- Tightness in the chest or throat
- Left shoulder or arm pain
- Left jaw pain
- Irregular/racing heartbeat
- Pain between the shoulder blades
These symptoms may indicate coronary problems that should be reviewed by a doctor:
- Shortness of breath (especially during exercise)
- Exercise fatigue
- Extreme tiredness
Screening and prevention
Our cardiologists believe that educating and screening patients is essential to preventing heart disease. According to the CDC, heart disease remains the leading cause of death in the United States, making it extremely important to receive screenings for heart disease if you are at risk. Genetics and lifestyle choices can both play roles in heart disease risk. Education is the best method for prevention.
With access to advanced screening tests, you can identify risks and catch problems in their early stages. Our cardiologists perform thousands of diagnostic heart tests each year. To learn more about your risk for heart disease, visit www.hearthealthadvisor.com.
If your family has a history of heart disease, or if you have high blood pressure or are overweight, talk to you doctor about getting your cardiac calcium score.
A cardiologist may also recommend a cardiac CT scan.
Cardiac CT scan
Wesley’s Discovery CT750 HD scanner offers the world’s best high-definition, low-dose CT technology. The 128-slice imaging creates sharper, more detailed images and reduces the radiation dose by 83 percent on cardiac scans and 50 percent across the rest of the body, compared to predecessor CT systems.
The scanner delivers a high definition cardiac image which allows physicians to detect heart disease using non-invasive procedures. Enhanced pictures of the coronary arteries and the opportunity to look at each section of the heart individually can help identify potential heart attack risk.
Heart Valve Clinic
Wesley’s Heart Valve Clinic combines the expertise of cardiac surgeons and interventional cardiologists to provide focused assessment and treatment options for patients with complex heart disorders. For more information about our structural heart program, please call (316) 962-6340.
Other diagnostic tests
- Stress test
- Holter monitoring
- Nuclear stress test
- Cardiac stress test
- Chest X-ray
Once diagnosed, our patients are encouraged to take an active role in crafting the ideal treatment plan with their cardiologist or physician.
Conditions we treat
- Aortic dissections and aneurysms
- Atrial fibrillation
- Chest pain
- Congenital heart defects
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart attack
- Heart murmur
- Heart valve disease
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Treatment options include
- Advanced heart failure services, including defibrillator and pacemaker insertion
- Arrhythmia care
- Cardiac ablation
- Cardiac catheterization
- Cardiac surgery
- Congenital defects surgery
- Hypothermia treatment for cardiac arrest
- Impella cardiac assist device
- Interventional procedures, such as angioplasties and stent implantations
- Pacemakers and implants
- Rotational atherectomy
- Vascular care
Call (316) 962-DOCS to find a cardiologist today.