Recognizing a heart attack and seeking emergency care
Time is of the essence if you or a loved one are suffering from chest pain. This can be a sign of a heart attack or caused by problems with your lungs, esophagus, muscles, ribs or digestive system.
It's important to determine what is causing the chest pain in order to seek the appropriate treatment.
While chest pain is not always a life-threatening condition, it should not be ignored. You may be having a heart attack and need immediate care. Visit an ER immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Difficulty breathing/shortness of breath - especially after a long period of inactivity
- Excessive sweating or ashen color
- Nausea or dizziness
- Pain spreading to the jaw, either arm or back
- Sudden feeling of pressure, squeezing, tightness or crushing under the breastbone
- Very low blood pressure or very low heart rate
- Very rapid heartbeat and/or breathing
Compassionate care, close to home
The Wesley EmergencyCare Network offers four emergency rooms throughout the greater-Wichita area. Our ER doctors and staff, working closely with our board-certified cardiologists, offer advanced cardiac care. The Wesley Medical Center and Wesley Woodlawn Hospital & ER are specially equipped to care for those with heart conditions.
Please call 911 in the case of a medical emergency or if you are unable to make it to the emergency room.
Learn more about our cardiac services or contact us at (316) 962-DOCS(3627) for more questions.