Family Life Education Classes
Classes are held at the following locations: Wesley Birth Care Suites at the northeast corner of Hillside and Murdock streets; Wesley West ER & Diagnostic Center at 8714 W. 13th St.; and INTRUST Learning Center at Wesley Medical Center, 550 N. Hillside. For more information or to register, go to wesleymc.com and choose “Classes and Events” or call (316) 962-6000.
• “Babysitting for Beginners”: This class helps prepare youth ages 11-15 to care for children of all ages. CPR training is included. Lunch is provided. Cost: $40 per babysitter Wesley Birth Care Suites: Saturdays, July 28 and August 18, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Big Kids and Babies: This class is for children ages 3-6. We provide activities and information to help the child feel they are an important part of this family experience. A tour at Birth Care Suites is included. Cost: $10 per child Wesley Birth Care Suites: Saturday, August 4, 10-11:30 a.m.
• “Breastfeeding”: Two two-hour classes to learn the advantages of breastfeeding and how to get off to a good start. Cost: $25 per person or couple Wesley West ER & Diagnostic Center: Tuesdays, July 3 & 10 and August 7 & 14, 7-9 p.m.
• Breastfeeding Saturdays: One three-hour class to Learn the advantages of breastfeeding and how to get off to a good start. Cost: $25 per person or couple Wesley Birth Care Suites: July 7 and August 11, 9 a.m.-12p.m.
• “Breastfeeding and Returning to Work or School”: One two-hour class to learn about breastfeeding and returning to work or school. Pumping and storing milk included. Should be taken 4-6 weeks postpartum. Cost: Free of charge, partners and caregivers are encouraged to attend. Wesley Birth Care Suites: Wednesdays, July 5 and August 8, 3-5 p.m.
• “CPR for Infants and Children”: One three-hour class that includes information about child-proofing your home. CPR training for infants and children is included. Cost: $15 per person Wesley Medical Center, INTRUST Learning Center: Tuesdays, July 10 & 24 and August 7 & 21, 6:30-9:30 p.m. Wesley West ER & Diagnostic Center: Thursdays, July 19 and August 16, 6:30-9:30 p.m.
• “Calming Your Baby and Sleeping Through the Night”: Learn ways to calm your newborn baby. Learn how to hear exactly what your baby’s cries are telling you. Learn about sleep patterns and how the whole family can get adequate sleep. Cost: $15 per person or couple Wesley West ER & Diagnostic Center: Wednesday, July 11, 6:30-9 p.m.
• Car Seat Checks: Wesley West ER & Diagnostic Center:
- Tuesday, July 3, 9-11 a.m.
- Fridays, July 27, August 10 and 24, 9-11 a.m.
- Birth Care Suites: Tuesdays, July 3, 17 and 31 and August 14 and 28, 3:30-5:30 p.m.
• “Car Seat Safety”: Your infant or child’s car seat will be checked for safety and proper installation by Wesley’s certified car-seat specialists. Cost: Free Wesley Birth Care Suites: Tuesday, July 31, 7-9 p.m.
• “Caring for Your Baby”: Two two-hour classes or one three-hour class providing information about bathing, diapering, feeding, safety, child development, health and other practical information. Cost: $25 per person or couple
- Wesley Birth Care Suites: Mondays, August 20 and 27, 7-9 p.m.
- Wesley Birth Care Suites: Tuesdays: July 24 and 31, 7-9 p.m.
- Wesley Birth Care Suites: Saturdays, July 7 and August 11, 1:30-4:30 p.m. (three-hour classes)
• “Cesarean Birth”: One two-hour class to help prepare and schedule a cesarean birth and tour the hospital. Cost: $15 per person or couple Wesley Medical Center, INTRUST Learning Center: Monday, August 6, 7-9 p.m.
• Childbirth Express: No time for anything but the BASICS of childbirth? After a short introduction to comfort techniques such as breathing, positioning, etc., the instructor will guide you through a labor simulation. There will be time for additional questions after the “labor & delivery” is completed. This class meets one Saturday a month. Cost: $30 per couple Wesley Birth Care Suites: Saturdays, July 28 and August 25, 1-4:30 p.m.
• Childbirth Preparation: Learn skills to use during labor for comfort. Information about medications, anesthesia, induction of labor and cesarean birth are included. This class meets one night a week for six weeks. Cost: $80 per couple Wesley Birth Care Suites: Mondays, July 2-August 6 and August 13-September 24, 7-9 p.m.
• “Childbirth Preparation - Saturdays”: Two six-hour Saturday classes for expectant mothers and their partners to learn skills and information about birth. Cost: $80 per couple Wesley Birth Care Suites: July 14 & 21, 9:30 am.-3:30 p.m.
• “Childbirth Refresher”: For parents who have taken childbirth preparation previously, this class reviews the basics and presents ways to prepare your children for the new arrival. Call (316) 962-2290 for more information.
• “Girl to Woman”: This class is for girls ages 9-12 and their mothers. It addresses menstruation and other physical and emotional changes of puberty. Call (316) 962-2290 for upcoming dates. Cost: $15 per mother/daughter Wesley Birth Care Suites: Saturday, August 18, 4-6 p.m.
• “Grandparents to Be”: Grandparents learn about current birth practices and changes in feeding and newborn care, as well as how they can be most helpful in their new role and share in the family experience. Cost: $15 per person or couple Wesley Birth Care Suites: Wednesday, August 15, 7-9 p.m.
• “Infant Massage”: Parents learn to massage their babies with a loving touch that helps promote healthy physical and emotional development. Cost: $10 per person or couple.
- Wesley Birth Care Suites: Tuesdays, July 17 and August 14, 5-6 p.m.
- Wesley Birth Care Suites: Thursdays, July 19 and August 16, 5-6 p.m.
• “Mini Childbirth Preparation”: Four two-hour classes for expectant mothers and their partners to learn skills and information about birth (condensed version of the six week class). Cost: $50 per couple Wesley Birth Care Suites: Thursdays, August 9-30, 7-9 p.m.
• “Miraculous Multiples”: Class for couples expecting twins or more to prepare them for the pregnancy, nutritional demands and parenting more than one infant. Cost: $25 per person or couple Wesley Birth Care Suites: Mondays, July 30 and August 13, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
• “Off to a Good Start”: $15 per couple; 7-9 p.m. Important information for prenatal health. Includes preterm labor, nutrition, exercise, changes of pregnancy and fetal development. Class must be taken before 20 weeks gestation. Cost: $25 per person or couple Wesley Birth Care Suites: Thursday, July 26, 7-9 p.m.
• “Post-partum Care”: This class talks about the after birth care for mom, including post-partum blues and depression, childcare, what to expect after birth and bringing baby home. This class meets one night a week for two weeks. Cost: $25 per person or couple
- Wesley Birth Care Suites: Mondays, July 9 and 16, 7-9 p.m.
- Wesley Birth Care Suites: Tuesdays, August 20 and 27, 7-9 p.m.
• “Potty Time”: Learn about toilet training, including how to recognize signs of readiness, incentive ideas and realistic expectations. Call (316) 962-2290 for upcoming dates. Cost: $15 per couple Wesley Birth Care Suites: Saturday, July 28, 4-6 p.m.
• “VBAC” (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean)”: One two-hour class about how to enhance your birth experience. Cost: free of charge Wesley Medical Center, INTRUST Learning Center: Tuesday, July 10, 7-9 p.m.
• “The Dad’s Class”: One two-hour class for expectant and new fathers and their pregnant partners. Cost: $15 per person or couple
- Wesley Birth Care Suites: Monday, July 23, 7-9 p.m.
- Wesley Birth Care Suites: Tuesday, August 28, 7-9 p.m.
- Wesley Birth Care Suites (3222 E. Murdock St.) Call 316.962.2290 to schedule a tour: every Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.
- Wesley Medical Center (550 N. Hillside St.) In-hospital Labor and Delivery Unit: every Saturday, 12:30 p.m..; meet in INTRUST Learning Center
Pediatric Oncology Support Groups
Through a partnership with Real Life Counseling, Wesley provides licensed and trained therapists and play therapists for pediatric oncology patients and their families. All pediatric patients (under the age of 18), parents and siblings are invited to participate in support groups, regardless of physician or hospital, and no matter what stage of treatment or follow-up care. There is no charge to participate. All support groups take place in the Wesley Children’s Hospital lobby (550 N. Hillside). For more information, call (316) 425-7774.
- Patient Support Group: Meets every other Wednesday at 11 a.m.
- Family Support Group: Meets the last Monday each month at 7 p.m. Patients, parents and siblings are divided into three separate groups.
Wesley Friends Events
- Health screenings: Cholesterol, glucose and hemoglobin screening: $10 for Wesley Friends members; $15 for non-members. Reservations are required. To make a reservation, call (316) 962-8400.
- Thursday, July 19, 7-8:15 a.m., Wesley Woodlawn Emergency Room, 2610 N. Woodlawn
- Thursday, August 16, 7-8:15 a.m., Wesley Woodlawn Emergency Room, 2610 N. Woodlawn
- Monthly socials: Enjoy a delicious meal along with a guest speaker or special entertainment. Arrive any time after 10:30 a.m. for coffee and socializing. Lunch available at 11:30 a.m. for $8, payable upon arrival. Central Community Church, 6100 W. Maple St., eastside entrance, near the north end. To make a reservation, please call (316) 962-8400.
- “Kansas Honor Flight” Thursday, July 12 – Mike VanCampen, President of the Kansas Honor Flight, will share about the memorable experiences of 59 honor flights. The flights have provided the opportunity for over 1800 of our Kansas veterans to Washington, DC and the memorials that commemorate their service to our country.
- “WSU Faculty Jazz Ensemble” – Thursday, August 9 – Comprised of Wichita's finest jazz musicians, the WSU Faculty Jazz Ensemble offers listeners an exciting and engaging experience ranging from traditional jazz standards to modern original writing. Join us as we take you on a journey through America's only true art form, revealing all its richness and beauty.