Wesley Medical Center in Wichita, Kansas, provides personalized, comprehensive and compassionate care for patients with all types of cancers from lung cancer to prostate cancer and more. Our oncologists and surgeons offer a broad spectrum of advanced diagnostic and treatment services for cancer patients, both inpatient and outpatient, all at one centrally-located facility.
Wesley’s oncology navigator provides free assistance to cancer patients before, during and after hospitalization. Services also extend to referring physicians, ensuring effective communication among all caregivers, facilities and individuals. Early detection screening
According to the national Lung Cancer Screening Trial (NLST), early stage detection can prevent one in five lung cancer deaths. Wesley offers a low-dose CT lung screening that can identify the early stages of lung cancer. The screening takes less than five minutes and is available at three convenient Wesley Healthcare locations.
Diagnosis and treatment
- All major cancers are treated, including breast cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, neurological cancer and gastrointestinal cancer.
- A multidisciplinary approach to care involves radiation oncologists, medical oncologists and surgeons.
- Oncology nurses receive Oncology Nursing Society chemotherapy training and certification.
- Chemotherapy administration is provided on weekends as well as weekdays.
- All Wesley patients who receive an outpatient CT scan have those scans reviewed through the lung nodule program, which can detect lung cancer early, when it is more effectively treated.
- Wesley Children’s Hospital offers the region’s only pediatric cancer services.
Our oncologists in Wichita utilize the most advanced radiological and radioisotope technology to diagnose and treat our cancer patients. Diagnosis is key so the correct cancer treatment can begin as soon as possible.
- The Varian Edge™ Radiosurgery System’s non-invasive bean ablates tumors, including deep-seated tumors in the brain and spine, with sub-millimeter, end-to-end surgical precision.
- The Trilogy® uses the latest in imaging technology, along with an advanced linear accelerator, to deliver highly specific radiation therapy with few side effects.
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) utilizes CT, MRI and PET imaging with computer-aided treatment planning.
- 3D conformal radiation therapy reduces the risk of radiating healthy tissue.
- A complete brachytherapy program has both low-dose rate and high-dose rate modalities.
- Two linear accelerators enable precision therapy with recording and verification of treatment sessions.
The da Vinci® Surgical System enables physicians to operate with much more precision than traditional surgical methods, causing less blood loss and postoperative pain, shorter hospital stays and faster recovery. The surgical/oncology unit staff are trained and experienced in care of cancer patients, including those who have complicating illnesses.
Patient convenience and recovery
- Pain management includes patient-controlled analgesia.
- Pastoral care chaplains are in-house 24 hours daily.
- The Wesley Inn across the street from the hospital provides convenient housing for out-of-town patients and families.
- The Center for Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine at Wesley treats hard-to-heal wounds resulting from surgery or radiation.
- Case managers provide support, discharge planning and referrals to support groups and other services.
- Cancer patients are seen in Wesley’s gynecological, medical, surgical and pediatric outpatient clinics.
- Rehabilitation services include physical, occupational, speech/language pathology and audiology therapy.