Heart & Vascular
Heart & Vascular
If you think you could be having a heart attack or stroke, please call 9-1-1 immediately.
Labs and outpatient scheduling: (316) 962-7004
Wesley is at the forefront of services to treat heart disease, offering a wide range of diagnostic and treatment options, state-of-the-art technology, and expert physicians and staff. As a full-service medical center, Wesley provides cardiovascular care to inpatients and outpatients while also attending to their other medical needs.
Safety and Quality
As a Chest Pain Center, Wesley provides treatment based on the latest research and proven successful outcomes. A member of hospital corporation HCA, Wesley utilizes the research, educational and quality improvement resources of HCA's Cardiovascular Clinical Management Network.
As a Primary Stroke Center, Wesley is certified to provide the highest possible care to stroke patients.
Wesley is one of the five members of the Wichita Heart Care Collaborative, which works to improve quality of cardiac care in the Wichita area. The collaborative received a 2006 John M. Eisenberg Patient Safety and Quality Award given by TJC (The Joint Commission) and the National Quality Forum.
In Wesley's 42-bed Emergency Department, patients with suspected heart attacks are quickly evaluated, and a "Cardiac Alert" summons cardiologists and other staff needed for fast treatment if a heart attack is detected. If a patient's condition is not confirmed as a heart attack, the patient may be monitored in the Chest Pain Center where immediate intervention is available.
The Emergency Department also is prepared 24 hours every day to treat strokes, aneurysms, and other life-threatening cardiovascular conditions. Wesley is one of the few hospitals in the state to have a physician specializing in interventional neuroradiology, who can treat certain vascular blockages and aneurysms in the head and neck with minimally invasive procedures.
- Infusion Center
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Structural Heart Program
- WesleyCare Telemedicine Network
Specialists at Wesley treat all types of heart and blood vessel diseases, including:
- Carotid artery disease
- Congenital heart problems
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary artery disease
- Diseases of the thoracic and abdominal aorta
- Electrical function abnormalities
- Heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Stroke (cerebrovascular accident)
- Valve diseases
Diagnostic and Treatment Procedures
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm repair
- Advanced cardiac mapping
- Aneurysm coiling
- Balloon pump insertion
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Cardiac scoring (ultrafast CT)
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Catheter ablation
- Catheter placement
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Embolization coiling
- Diagnostic and interventional and neuroradiology
- Intravascular ultrasound
- Pacemaker implantation
- Plaque excision
- Stent implantation
- Stress testing
- Thrombolytic therapy
- Valve repair and replacement
Wesley has several units for cardiovascular patients, based on their individual needs. All the units provide constant electronic monitoring, and nurses are specially trained in the care of cardiac patients.
- Wesley has two Medical/Telemetry Units. While in these units, patients may begin therapy and education to prepare them for their care after discharge. Care coordinators work with patients and their families to arrange for follow-up care.
- The Cardiovascular Interventional Unit is for recovery of patients who have had an angioplasty, stent, or other interventional treatment in the Cardiovascular Lab.
- The most seriously ill patients stay in the Coronary Care Unit, which has 26 beds in private rooms with state-of-the-art equipment and a high level of staffing.
Inpatients who are members of Wesley Friends are eligible for a private room at no extra charge, if a private room is available. As outpatients, members can receive free transportation to medical and rehabilitation appointments at or near Wesley, if they live in the Wichita area.