This is a good way to get vegetables into the meal plan. Serve with a mixed green salad and some whole wheat bread.
Ingredients and Preparation
Olive oil 2 tablespoons
Medium onions, chopped 2
Garlic cloves, minced 4
Celery stalks, diced 2
Medium red or green peppers, cut into strips 2
Chopped mushrooms 1 cup
Uncooked rice 2 cups
Chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed 3 pounds
Salt (optional) 1 teaspoon
Chicken broth, fat removed 3½ cups
Water with saffron (Sazón) for color 4 cups
Medium tomatoes, chopped 3
Frozen peas 1 cup
Frozen corn 1 cup
Frozen green beans 1 cup
Olives or capers for garnish, if desired
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a nonstick pot. Add the onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly until it begins to brown.
- Add the chicken, salt, chicken broth, water, saffron (Sazón), and tomatoes. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer.
- Cover the pot and let the casserole simmer until the water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, corn, and beans, and cook for 8-10 minutes. When everything is hot the casserole is ready to serve. Garnish with olives or capers, if desired.