Using nonstick cooking spray, ground turkey, and no added salt helps to make this classic dish heart-healthy.
Serving Size 5-ounce sauce and 9-ounce spaghetti
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 280 mg
Ingredients and Preparation
Nonstick cooking spray, as needed
Ground turkey 1 pound
(28-ounce) tomatoes, cut up 1 can
Finely chopped green pepper 1 cup
Finely chopped onion 1 cup
Garlic, minced 2 cloves
Dried oregano, crushed 1 teaspoon
Black pepper 1 teaspoon
Spaghetti, uncooked 1 pound
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat over high heat.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Drain fat and discard.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover; simmer for 15 minutes more. (If you like a creamier sauce, give sauce a whirl in your blender or food processor.)
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in unsalted water. Drain well.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.