This delicious Caribbean favorite is cholesterol-free and made with very little added fat.
Serving Size 8 oz
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 193 mg
Ingredients and Preparation
Dry black beans 1 pound
Water 7 cups
Medium green pepper, coarsely chopped 1
Chopped onion 1 ½ cups
Vegetable oil 1 tablespoon
Bay leaves 2
Garlic cloves, minced 1
Salt ½ teaspoon
Vinegar (or lemon juice) 1 tablespoon
Rice, cooked in unsalted water 6 cups
Sliced pimento, drained 1 jar (4 ounces)
Lemon, cut into wedges 1
- Pick through beans to remove bad beans. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
- In large soup pot or dutch oven, stir together beans, water, green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cover and boil 1 hour.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3-4 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
- Remove about 1/3 of the beans, mash and return to pot. Stir and heat through.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon juice when ready to serve.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced pimento and lemon wedges.