Management of AUD will require some permanent changes in your life. These strategies may be combined with other aspects of treatment:
- Identify potential relapse triggers and develop coping strategies for difficult situations that pop up at work or home
- Avoid reaching for a drink when stressed or upset. Learn stress reduction or relaxation techniques. Consider starting a regular exercise program.
- Tell friends and family about your intentions. They can help you with your goals.
- Find ways to socialize without alcohol.
- Avoid going to bars or other places associated with drinking.
- Keep alcohol out of the home or office.
- Make new, nondrinking friends.
- Do fun things that do not involve alcohol.
- Continue attending support groups, such as Alcoholics Anonymous.
- Eat a healthful diet.
Keep in mind that relapses are common and expected. If you have a relapse, do not get discouraged—get help.
- Reviewer: Adrian Preda, MD
- Review Date: 03/2016 -
- Update Date: 04/10/2015 -