Accredited by The Association for Clinical Pastoral Education
(316) 962-2310 or 1-800-362-0288, Ext. 22310
What is Clinical Pastoral Education?
Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) is an action/reflection process of theological education that is grounded in a person-centered approach to spiritual ministry. As a member of an interdisciplinary health-care team, the student's educational experience involves providing pastoral care to patients, families and staff. Association for Clinical Pastoral Education standards require a minimum of 100 hours of class time and 300 hours of clinical time each unit.
In an multi-faith peer group and in consultation with a certified chaplain supervisor, the student evaluates the effectiveness of his or her style of ministry in relation to theological perspectives, religious traditions and the needs of the persons served. Through this process the student integrates insights and skills to grow in ministry and increases his/her self understanding.
Clinical Pastoral Education Programs
- Admission to Clinical Pastoral Education
- Clinical Pastoral Education Program Annual FERPA notice
- ACPE Application (click on CPE application DOC)
Summer Clinical Pastoral Education
- Positions are available for a class commencing in June and concluding in August.
- Summer stipends may be offered.
- Summer program announcement
Extended Clinical Pastoral Education
- Programs begin in August and in January.
- Extended (part-time) unit
Clinical Pastoral Education Residency
- Residency program announcement. This is a full-time program.
- Preference: One unit of Clinical Pastoral Education and master of divinity or equivalent
- This is a full-time program for a minimum of 12 months.
- Prerequisite: M.Div. or equivalent, plus four units of CPE
- Tuition: none
For more information
- Chapels and chaplains at Wesley
- Pastoral Care and Education at Wesley: 316-962-2310 or 1-800-362-0288 Ext. 22310
- Write to:Rev. Susan Harthon, ACPE Program Manager
Department of Pastoral Care and Education
Wesley Medical Center
550 N. Hillside
Wichita, Ks. 67214-4976
- Phone: 316-962-2310 or 1-800-362-0288 ext 2310
- FAX: 316-962-2765