October 07, 2013
• Halloween-in-the-Park: a costumed trick-or-treat event that helps teach kids how to have a safe Halloween;
Friday, Oct. 25; 6–9 p.m.; Edgemoor Park, 5815 E. Ninth St.; free of charge
• Knee and hip replacement seminar: hospital staff explain what to expect during and after knee and hip surgery;
Monday, Oct. 14; 10–11 a.m.; Cessna Conference Center at Wesley; free of charge. To register, call 316.962.6000.
• Lunch and Learn Lectures: noon–1 p.m.; free of charge; Cessna Conference Center at Wesley Medical Center;
lunch available at 11:30 a.m. for $5. To make a reservation, call Wesley Friends at 316.962.4000.
— Friday, Oct. 18, “Strokes and Other Neurological Conditions,” Dr. Calvin Olmstead
— Friday, Nov. 8, “Heart Disease in Women,” Dr. Shirlpa Kshatriya
• Friday, Oct. 18; 7–9:30 a.m.; Health Strategies, 551 N. Hillside; Thursdays, Nov. 21 and Dec. 19; 7–9:30 a.m.;
Galichia Heart Hospital, 2600 N. Hillside. Reservations are required. To make a reservation, call Wesley Friends at
—Cholesterol, glucose and hemoglobin screening: $10 for Wesley Friends members; $15 for non-members
—Prostate cancer blood test: $15 for Wesley Friends members; $30 for non-members
• Wesley Friends’ Lunch Bunch: Wednesday, Oct. 16; 1 p.m.; Jimmie’s Diner, 3111 N. Rock Road; Nov. 20 and Dec.
18 locations to be announced. To make a reservation, call Wesley Friends at 316.962.8400.
• Wesley Friends’ group attendance at Crown Uptown Dinner Theater’s matinee performance of White Christmas:
Thursday, Nov. 21; depart from Health Strategies, 551 N. Hillside, at 11:30 a.m.; $90 per person. Make a reservation
by Nov. 1 by calling 316.409.0174 or 316.962.8400.
• Wesley Friends’ monthly social: Thursday, Dec. 12; 11:30 p.m.; Corporate Caterers; performance by Circle High
School madrigal singers; $5. To make a reservation, call Wesley Friends at 316.962.8400.
• Defensive Driving Course: presented by AARP to help participants drive more safely and possibly reduce insurance
rates; Friday, Oct. 25; 8 a.m.–5 p.m.; Jayhawk Room at Wesley Medical Center; $12 for AARP members and $14 for
non-members. To make a reservation, call Wesley Friends at 316.962.8400.
Family life education classes
Classes are held at the Wesley BirthCare Center at the northeast corner of Hillside and Murdock Streets or at
Wesley West Emergency and Diagnostic Center at 8714 W. 13th St. or at Koch Learning Center at Wesley Medical
Center, 550 N. Hillside. For more information or to register, go to www.wesleymc.com and choose “Classes and
• “Big Kids and Babies:” one 90-minute session of activities for children ages 3-6 to help prepare them to welcome a
new baby; offered Saturday, Nov. 2; 10–11:30 a.m.; BirthCare Center; $10 per child
• “Breast Feeding:” two two-hour classes; offered Wednesdays, Oct. 2–9 and Nov. 13–20, at the BirthCare Center;
Thursdays, Oct. 17–24, and Mondays, Nov. 4–11, at Wesley West; 7–9 p.m. One three-hour class offered on
Saturdays, Oct. 12, Nov. 9 and Dec. 7; 9 a.m–noon; BirthCare Center; $25 per person or couple
• “Calming Your Baby:” one two-hour class; offered Wednesday, Nov. 7; 7–9 p.m.; BirthCare Center; $15 per person
• “Car Seat Safety:” one two-hour class; offered Tuesday, Nov. 26; 7–9 p.m.; BirthCare Center; free of charge
• “Caring for Your Baby:” two two-hour classes; offered Tuesdays, Oct. 8–15, and Thursdays, Nov. 14–21; 7–9 p.m.,
BirthCare Center. One three-hour class offered on Saturdays, Oct. 12, Nov. 9 and Dec. 7; 1:30–4:30 p.m.; BirthCare
Center; $25 per person or couple.
• “Childbirth Preparation:” Log on to www.wesleymc.com for various types of classes, dates and times.
• “Childbirth Refresher:” three two-hour classes; offered Mondays, Dec. 2–16; 7–9 p.m.; BirthCare Center; $40 per
person or couple
• “CPR for Infants and Children:” one three-hour class that includes information about child-proofing your home;
offered Tuesdays, Oct. 1, Oct. 15, Oct. 28, Nov. 12, Nov. 26, and Dec. 20, in Koch Learning Center; Thursdays, Oct.
24, Nov. 21 and Dec. 19, at Wesley West; 6:30–9:30 p.m.; $15 per person
• “The Dad’s Class:” one two-hour class for expectant and new fathers and their pregnant partners; offered
Tuesdays, Nov. 5 and Dec. 3; 7–9 p.m.; BirthCare Center; $15 per couple
• “Grandparent-to-be:” one two-hour class; offered Wednesday, Oct. 16, and Tuesday, Oct. 10; 7–9 p.m.; BirthCare
Center; $15 per person or couple
• “It’s Sleepy Time:” one two-hour class for parents of infants; offered Tuesday, Nov. 19; 7–9 p.m.; BirthCare Center;
$15 per person or couple
• Wesley BirthCare Center: every Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. To make a reservation, call 316.962.2290.
• Wesley Hospital Labor and Delivery Unit: Saturdays, Oct. 19, Nov. 2, Nov. 16 and Dec. 7; 12:30 p.m. To make a
reservation, call 316.962.2290.
Child car seat checks
Your infant or child car seat will be checked for safety and proper installation by Wesley’s certified car seat specialists.
Free of charge. No appointment needed.
• Wesley BirthCare Center parking lot at Hillside and Murdock Streets: Tuesdays, Oct. 15, Oct. 29, Nov. 12, Nov. 26
and Dec. 10; 3–5 p.m.; no appointment needed
• Wesley West parking lot at 13th St. N. and Tyler Road: Fridays, Oct. 11, Oct. 25, Nov. 8, Nov. 22, Dec. 6 and Dec.
20; 10 a.m. to noon; no appointment needed
Wesley Medical Center
Wesley Medical Center is the region’s leading acute care hospital network providing a full range of diagnostic and treatment services for patients throughout Kansas and northern Oklahoma since 1912. As a leader in Overall Recommended Care, Wesley treats more than 24,000 patients annually and delivers more than 6,000 babies – more than any hospital in a 13-state region. Wesley provides the most extensive emergency network in Wichita, with Wesley ER, Wesley West ER and Galichia ER. Wesley owns and operates Galichia Heart Hospital, WesleyCare Clinics and the Pediatric Center of Kansas. To learn more about Wesley Medical Center, please visit wesleymc.com.